Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Summer Fun, Part One!

We're only a week and a half into official summer vacation, but we've already had lots of fun!  I'm really enjoying all my extra time with Avery.  He's going to daycare for two days a week in the summer because it's good for him there and it also gives me a much-needed break.  Here's the fun we've been up to so far:

On my last day of work we went to Sunset Point to have a "Schools Out for Summer!" Picnic dinner, with food from the Chipper.  Yummy!  One of the highlights was Izzy breaking free from her leash (trying to catch seagulls) and then tearing around the park while we all yelled and ran around trying to catch her, while all the other park-goers watched in amusement.  







The next day was a "Try It" weekend at Collingwood Harbour.  We got to try rowing and fishing.  Mom and I went in a boat with Avery (and two other experienced rowers) and Avery got to sit in the front seat (where the boss sits, is what we told him).  He had a great time!  It was his favourite part of the morning.  Then he got to try fishing.  We didn't catch any fish but the fish ate his worms off his hook.  We got to keep the fishing rod so we will try again another time.  Maybe with corn or hotdogs as bait though because I felt bad for the worms!




Another day we had a nice walk around the Shipyards part of the Harbour.  We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful town!






Canada Day started off rainy but we still managed to have a good time.  We went strawberry picking in the morning and also made a cake to have with them. Avery didn't pick the berries but he's quite good at holding the basket. :) Then in the afternoon Avery was invited to a little party at his friends' house from daycare.  He didn't want to go in the "pool" (one foot deep) but he had a good time hanging out with a few of his friends.  







The next day was my birthday and coincidentally a daycare day, so I got to go shopping in Barrie with a friend.  We went out for dinner to celebrate and I picked Montanas because we can colour on the table and they give you a hat with horns to wear while they sing the birthday song to you - I thought Avery would like it.  



Another day Avery, Dad and I had a good walk with the dogs through the Arboretum, on the way back from Grandma's Beach treats.  I got free ice cream because my name was the special name of the day!  Yummy! 
Avery has been having a great time running through his sprinkler that his cousin Marc bought him for his birthday.  It's a long hose with lots of little short hoses coming out of it.  Grandpa decided it would be more fun if they rigged it up from a tree, so now they often do that, or put it up over the swingset, or some other way to see how they can get the water to squirt.  Avery also quite enjoys bending the house to stop the water, then getting you to go near the sprinkler, then letting the water go again.  He laughs and laughs!


Avery has recently taken a big interest in Dinosaurs (thanks mostly to the Dinosaur Train on Netflix) so we made this plaster mold of a Triceratops from a kit he got for his birthday from Brock and Marianne. 
So, since he's so interested in Dinosaurs, I decided it would be good to fit in a ROM trip before the Pan Am games.  We did that yesterday.  I loved looking at the dinosaurs and I think Avery did too, though if you ask him he will say that the Bat Cave was his favourite.  He went through that twice.  Avery also liked the Discovery Gallery, where you can touch items and play with toys and where we found some toy dinosaurs, of course!  Then we had a nice lunch with my friend Ian, who was a roommate in University.  Oh, and we also rode the subway!  It was Avery's first time and he liked it a lot.  Overall, it was a great day and went even better than I planned.  It's nice that Avery is getting a bit older now and can walk around more (no need to bring the stroller) and hang in there longer before he needs to nap.  





Whew, that's a lot of things we've done so far!  I've got lots of other things planned, so hopefully I will find time to write some more updates on how our summer is going.  
We hope all of you are having a great summer too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting but please leave your name so I know who is writing to me! :)